Friday, December 14

Brigadier T M Troy CBE 1923 - 2007

The Family of the late Brigadier T M Troy CBE would like to extend their heartfelt thanks to all those who cared for the Brigadier in his later years, particularly the medical and care staff at Jersey General Hospital and Lakeside Care Home, his many friends at St Bernadette's RC Church. To those who made good his wishes for his funeral, Captain N Spratey of the Jersey TA, Gerald Bison Chairman Jersey Royal British Legion, Father Peter Glas and Paul Battrick MBE and staff of Pitcher & Le Quesne Funeral Directors.


"Absent in body, but ever present in spirit." Corinthians 1:34. 5:3




Brigadier Troy who died peacefully in Jersey General Hospital on 1 December was buried with full Military Honours at Mont-A-L’Abbe Cemetery Jersey on the afternoon of 7 December 2007. He is survived by his Brother Kevin who lives in South Devon, his two nephews Peter and Colin Troy.

The Brigadier's last journey


Chief Mourners. Kevin and Marjory Troy followed by Peter and Colin Troy

l
A personal note from the Editor.

I have many fond memories of my Uncle not least of which is when as a 16 year old I accompanied him and his wife Pat to the Palace on the occasion of his investiture of the CBE in the summer of 1969. At that time Terry drove an old Triumph Herald motor that had seen many better days, which much to his wife Pat's horror he insisted in driving into the palace alongside some what larger and more prestigious looking vehicles. I recall the bemused look on the face of the duty Police Inspector as the Palace Guard presented arms and my Uncle trying desperately (and failing) to wind down the drivers window whilst showing his pass and return the salute at the same time.

My final memory of Terry was that of humour over riding physical discomfort and a frustrating lack of control of at the end of his eventful life. When I visited my Uncle in hospital on Friday 30 November on what was to be his final day I commented that the name above his bed read 'Mr' Troy. Why I asked him have they not written Brigadier - ''oh security old chap'' he snapped, '''security, one can never be to careful, you never know''. Before I left him that evening he insisted on calling 'K' (his younger brother, my father, now 81) unable to 'dial' the numbers or insert the coins in the pay 'phone on wheels I made the call for him - it was a short call since after a day of visitors he was both tired and short of breath. He told his brother in his inimitable style that all ''was fine, Peter was here, and I have some jobs for him to do''

I left him that evening with a list of orders, some shopping requests and a list of items to bring from his rooms at the care home. Though bright in mind I was very much aware that the indignity of hospital life was not to my Uncle's liking - Terry was a proud man.

At 5.55 am the following morning I was woken in my hotel room by a phone call from my cousin Brian Troy. ''Peter I am sorry to tell you your Uncle has died''. It came as a shock for Terry had always been there, now suddenly he had gone. Later that morning in Terry's care home rooms that had been his home for five years Brian and I opened a file marked ''funeral arrangements T M Troy''. It was a detailed document complete with an index, amendments and diagrams. The final paragraph was the order: '' I don't expect you to follow all of my instructions, but whatever you do, do it bloody properly.'' That was Uncle Terry direct, realistic and to the point.

At the reception following the funeral at the Shakespeare Hotel on the afternoon of 6 December I proposed a toast (with a fine blended whisky in my hand -my Uncle Terry's favorite tipple). Calling for attention I thundered: '' William Shakespeare's Othello said of Casio - 'He was want to speak plain and to purpose, like an honest man and a Soldier' Ladies and Gentlemen to the memory of The Brigadier ''.

All those I have met who served with Terry Troy from those I met when as a young man I visited him in Ankara, Turkey, back in 1974 to the reception on the afternoon following his final journey, 33 years later, made the same point: Brigadier Troy was indeed a fine honest soldier.

Peter Anthony Troy
Sedgefield, County Durham.

The Last Post

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello. I have looked at your blog which is fascinating. however I have to declare myself as a guardian reader and environmentalist!

I am working over christmas and having all my family around too, so am more than busy right now, but it was good to meet you at terry's funeral. I just thought i'd wish you and your family a happy christmas. regards, catherine (the one with the small housesitting business, a second (or more) cousin of terry's )

Peter Troy said...

This blog welcomes both Guardian readers and environmentalists especially if they are also small business proprietors.

The common interest will be that in the UK both the natural and business environment is being hindered by the European Union despite the huge propaganda to the contrary which flows in vast quantities from the bureaucratic institutions of Brussels. Jersey whilst free of most of the effect on a domestic basis is increasingly being draw into the wake of European Federalism.

The intention was that my Uncle was given the funeral he both deserved and wanted. My family were determined that the Brigadier was properly saluted on his last journey; I believe this was all achieved.

It was particularly nice to meet so many cousins and other relatives from the extended 'clan' at the reception at the Shakespeare; carry on reading the Blog.

srs Conner said...

I was very sad to read that about Brig Terry Troy having passed away but delighted to see had a wonderful send off. I met him on several occassions as he served in my late Uncle's Regiment in India during WW2.My Uncle was Col Terence Conner and Terry was always invited to attend his Regimental reunions in London. When my Uncle died aged 99 terry helped me with his Obituary which was published in the Telegraph and the Times. I remember that Terry visited my Uncle in Kenya, where he lived and went on a Safari with him and Jonathan Scott. I see that his brother lives in South Devon, as do i so please pass on my somewhat late condolences.

Shaun Conner