Wednesday, September 7

Jerusalem

The 5 th and vital Test match of 2005 starts today -Thursady 8 August.
.
In recent times, the England cricket team has taken to the field of play, to the sound of Jerusalem, William Blake's glorious, patriotic poem, set to music by Sir Hubert Parry.
.
Now England cricket Captain, Michael Vaughan is leading the call to the nation, that at 10.25am on the opening day of the final test, we all join in the singing that will herald the team's arrival.
.
Every patriotic Englishman and woman (and indeed the Scots and the Welsh) should sing with relish and as if their very lives depended on it. The fifth and final test is important, if England wins or draws we win back 'the ashes' (we keep them safe at Lords anyway) if Australia wins the test series will be a draw.
.
"The backing of the country is like having a 12th player on the field and the thought of having the whole country singing a hymn as emotive as 'Jerusalem' is something that will get the boys stirred up just as we come onto the field", Vaughan said earlier this week.
.
A little bit of national pride goes a long way and perhaps cricket can serve to unite us in the same way that football sometimes divides us.
.
In case reader, you wish to join in the singing - and I sincerely hope you do - the words are printed below.
.
Why not be loud, be proud and join this site in a rousing rendition of very British hymn, indeed.
.
JERUSALEM.
.
And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
.
And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic mills?
.
Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!
.
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.
.
William Blake 1757-1827

1 comment:

Shelagh said...

Now Peter - is this an English or a British anthem...?