Tuesday, October 4

In A Flag Flap


In the pages of today's Daily Express, John Chapman reports that prison officers at Wakefield Prison who chose to wear St George's Cross tie-pins were criticised by watchdogs who said it could send a racist message.
.
Never mind that the prison is situated in England. Disregard the fact that the tie pins were bought and worn in support of a cancer charity.
.
There is a vast difference between patriotism and racism and its time we in this fine country woke up to that fact.
.
Displaying the Star Spangled Banner in the US of A is a demonstration of national pride. Here, increasingly and regrettably, it is becoming stigmatised to promote our national flags
.
How sad.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I find it very sad, indeed, that to have pride in one's country is now to be racist or against others or other's nations. Back in the day, ( a not so long ago day at that) we were proud of people who lived and died for their beliefs in their country, their government, the land that they lived in. Now it is acceptable to move to a land or country that allows the freedom of free speech and to speak out against that self same country. It is now okay to move to a country that allows you more freedoms than you ever had before and to speak out against that country and to denegrate it. NOW, before anyone gets too upset with me, I am all for sharing any of the freedoms that I have in my own country with anyone, I just find it difficult to understand how you can want to live in a country that you hate. I love my country, even though I don't always like the things that are done in my country. I feel that I should be able to fly my flag, support my troops, and vote my conscience without being told that by doing these things i infringe on others rights and by so doing I am a racist against them. I would like to feel that, actually, it makes me a patriot.