Sunday, October 30

The Sunday Quote - 133

The Adam Smith Institute Blog muses on David Cameron’s rather fatuous comment:

“I don't think anyone wakes up and thinks 'gosh, I wish the state was smaller today than it was yesterday’.”

Madsen Pirie replies:

“He's mostly right, though there are a few of us who do put it in those terms (we tend to use the subjunctive were smaller).

Other people probably wake up and think things like:

I wish I got to keep more of my pay without all those deductions.

I wish the planners hadn't stopped me building a conservatory out back.

I wish Ben were not facing prosecution for waving a cricket bat at those muggers.

I wish I could get some help in the house and looking after the kids without all that form-filling stuff when you hire anyone.

I wish my car didn't cost so much extra because of those EU rules.

I wish Gran could pass on her house and savings without all that inheritance tax.

I wish the nativity play and carol concert hadn't been banned by the local council.

I wish the local butcher hadn't been forced to close his business.”

____________________________________________
.
Thanks to Dr. Helen Szamualy

No comments: