Saturday, August 5

Plod Blair still in post !

Britain's most senior police officer was questioned under disciplinary caution today over his conduct in the wake of the Stockwell shooting in London last July.

The Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Sir Ian Blair answered "all the questions put to him" by investigators from the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) about his comments following the death of Jean Charles de Menezes.

The interview took place at the IPCC's offices in Holborn, central London, under "police conduct regulations".

Mr de Menezes' family claim that Sir Ian misled them and the public in the wake of the innocent Brazilian's fatal shooting by anti-terror officers at Stockwell Tube station in south London on July 22 last year.
.
The IPCC's inquiry into the complaints by the de Menezes family - codenamed Stockwell 2 - is due to be completed some time in the autumn and its findings are seen as critical for Sir Ian's future.

Sir Ian has been under pressure following a string of controversies in the last 12 months and the outcome of the inquiry could prove to be make or break for his commissionership of Britain's largest police force.

In the immediate aftermath of the shooting, reports circulated suggesting that Mr de Menezes, a 27-year-old electrician, had vaulted a ticket barrier and bolted down an escalator and that he had been wearing a bulky jacket.

That afternoon, Sir Ian addressed the media and said the shooting was "directly linked" to anti-terror operations. He told reporters: "As I understand the situation, the man was challenged and refused to obey police instructions."

The Met also issued a statement saying that the man's "clothing and behaviour" had added to their suspicions. As we have stated more than once on this blog, leaked documents later showed that Mr de Menezes had walked calmly into the station, even pausing to pick up a free newspaper, and that he had done little to arouse any suspicion before being shot.

Sir Ian said later he did not know an innocent man had been killed until the following morning, 24 hours after the incident. Reports alleged earlier this year that someone in his private office knew within just six hours.
.
Earlier this month, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) announced that no individual police officers would be charged over Mr de Menezes' death.

However in what this blog as discribed as a '' very British understatement'' the Metropolitan Police is to be prosecuted under health and safety laws. The first hearing is on 14 August at City of Westminster Magistrates' Court.

Last week, the two firearms officers who fired the fatal shots at Stockwell were cleared to return to full operational duties.

As we don't mind repeating, it is amazing that Commisioner Sir Ian Blair (Plod Blair) is still in his post.

1 comment:

Stewed Cabbage said...

Oh I think that Stockwell 2 will be Plod Blair's undoing.

For the sake of the Met and the rank and file of Britain's Police officers I hope it is.

Plod Blair is trying to be a Politician !